Unum Benefits Open Enrollment: January 9th - 17th, 2023
As an employee of NMSS, you are eligible to participate in our Voluntary Benefits Program. Voluntary Benefits are offered to help address the individual needs of you and your family with advantages that otherwise might not be available to you on your own. Your voluntary benefit offerings are designed to complement your benefits package and provide additional security for you and your family.
What do you get?
Options: You may choose your level of coverage; one that both fits your needs and is easy on your paycheck. Your decision will not change the benefits being provided under any employer-sponsored benefit program.
Convenience: Voluntary benefits are paid through the convenience of payroll deduction
Acceptance: In many cases, you and immediate family members will have a better opportunity to obtain coverage through this offering than you would on your own, especially if any medical conditions or concerns are present.
Portability: Many of these programs may be taken with your with no change in premium or benefit if you leave employment or retire.
All Employees: Unum Benefits are now online! This is your opportunity to obtain Life, Disability, Accident and Critical Illness coverage through your employer.
Who is Eligible to Enroll: Regular (non-temporary) Society employees who work at least 20 hours per week are eligible to enroll.
• New Hires: (Hired on or after 02/01/2022) are guaranteed acceptance without answering medical questions.
• Non-New Hires (Hired before 02/01/2022) who WAIVED the Unum benefits previously: may be asked to answer medical questions when applying for coverage.
• Employees currently participating in voluntary benefits: may continue with current benefits or make changes. You do not have to renew the benefits to maintain
Life Insurance helps take care of your loved one’s immediate and future financial needs following your death. Immediate needs can include burial/funeral expenses, uninsured medical costs and current bills and debts. Future needs could include income replacement, education plans, ongoing family obligations, emergency funds, and retirement expenses.
As people move through the stages of life, certain factors dictate the type of life insurance they need. During working years, an employer may provide Term Life insurance, but the Unum Whole Life product is designed to last for the remainder of your life and can help give peace of mind because the money you spend builds cash value that you can use later in life or add to the term benefit payout. The graph below illustrates the need for term and permanent whole life insurance throughout the various stages of life.
Unexpected accidents can also mean unexpected out-of-pocket expenses. Hospital stays, medical or surgical treatments, dislocations or fractures, and transportation by ambulance can add up quickly and be very costly. Accident Insurance can help with some of these expenses so your finances can remain healthy.
- Coverage is guaranteed issue – you may qualify for coverage regardless of health
- Benefits are paid directly to you – use the money however you see fit
- Coverage is available to you, your spouse and dependent children
- On and off the job coverage
No one knows what lies ahead on the road of life. Will you suffer a stroke, a heart attack or be diagnosed with cancer? The signs pointing to a critical illness are not always clear and may not be preventable, but Critical Illness Insurance can help offer financial protection in the event you are diagnosed.
- Covers major illnesses – Policies generally cover illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, coronary artery disease,
paralysis, kidney failure, and many more
- Paid regardless of ability to work – The payment is made in a tax-free lump sum and is not linked to your ability/
inability to work
- Use the money for any purpose – You choose what you want to do with the money